Red at Sea

Red left behind everything she knew in Kansas City...and is venturing around the Mediterranean Sea on a cruise ship. Read about her adventures and personal experiences while aboard the Norwegian Jade.

Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Walking on water



One of my first adventures in Hawaii was on my favorite island of them all, Kauai! I took a tour of the rainforest...the wettest spot in the world. They get over 400 inches of rain a year...and on the other side of the mountains is a desert...how bizarre!

We first stopped at this waterfall...and then the 4x4 took us up the mountain. Along the way, our guide stopped to pick all of these tropical flowers and fruit...it was absolutely amazing! I tried a Hawaiian cherry...which supposedly is packed with tons of vitamins. Then we learned that the yellow hibiscus is the state flower of Hawaii...random trivia for you out there! And ladies, if you're going to wear the flower in your hair...wear it to the right if you're single, or to the left if you're taken.



Finally, we made it up to the top. It was a scary trip up, because the roads were dirt and we skid a few times...thankfully I was buckled in. Safety First! Then, we got out of the 4x4 and started to hike. We crossed the entrance, where Jurassic Park was filmed...and beyond the entrance lie heaven! The view was incredible. Unfortunately, pictures don't do justice to this wonderland!

In the rainforest, I ate guavas right off of the trees, walked on water and soaked up the misty sunshine. Check out the pictures. That day, I felt like a local...and really connected to this beautiful place.



Stay tuned for more stories...I'll be back to write later about Kipu Falls, Hawaiian Gods (and my gift) and snorkeling in the ICE pond. Hope to hear from you all soon!

3 Comments:

Blogger Wendy said...

Red -

I'm glad you posted again. I was getting worried about where the heck you are. Sounds like you're having a great time!

Wendy

10:14 AM  
Blogger Megan Moriarty said...

Red! Wow- I had no idea you were in Hawaii! Sounds like you're having all kinds of adventures. Just wanted to say hello!

4:21 PM  
Blogger Mike S said...

Megan,
Great post. Sounds like you are experiencing the contrasts of paradise. I ran in the Gobbler Grind this weekend. Saw Tom, he beat my butt of course. Got to lose some lbs. to get any faster. Still finished in 2hrs. Next response I will tell you about a secret place on Oahu to check out. Email me at mshaughnessy@metlife.com if you get the chance.

Mike S

10:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home