Red at Sea

Red left behind everything she knew in Kansas City...and is venturing around the Mediterranean Sea on a cruise ship. Read about her adventures and personal experiences while aboard the Norwegian Jade.

Monday, September 04, 2006

Hurricane Ernesto



Well...I survived my first hurricane. Ernesto made his way to the southern Maryland area on Friday. It stormed all day and night. The rain was raining sideways and the wind was up to gusts of 74 MPH. If it would've been 1 more MPH, they would've categorized it as a Category 1 hurricane. OK. So I exaggerated a bit, it was more like a tropical storm, but still scary! The water in the bay rose very quickly and started to seep into our pool and it completely covered our docks. The boats seen floating above the water before the storm were quickly floating on the water because the water had risen dramatically.



There was also a trailer alongside a beach just north of us and it was setting in standing water as well. Crazy! The ceiling of the 7-story building I'm staying in was shaking and creaking...and the ceiling tiles were soaking up the leaks from the roof and spontaneously combusting at any given second.



It was a very exciting day to say the least. Just as I had started a load of laundry, the power in the building went out...and I was forced to finish it by hand...how ridiculous, right?!? So what did I do? Made my way to the bar, which was lit via candle light how romantic...until the power came back on...and ruined the intimate scene we had going. I guess beer googles weren't working as well that night! It was so weird, because the next day the water level had sunk to it's original level and the water/weather was so calm. I really did experience the calm after the storm! These pictures aren't too good of a representation, but you get the idea.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home