Red at Sea

Red left behind everything she knew in Kansas City...and is venturing around the Mediterranean Sea on a cruise ship. Read about her adventures and personal experiences while aboard the Norwegian Jade.

Saturday, May 03, 2008

Egypt - A Whole New World (Day 2)


We were only able to sleep a few hours because we had a long day of touring ahead of us. Though, I slept so well in that king-sized, pillow-top bed…four hours in that bed was equivalent to eight hours in my bunk bed on the ship. I woke up feeling refreshed and ready to see the pyramids!

The first stop of the day was at Sakkara, one of the first pyramid sites discovered. While there we toured a tomb and viewed/translated hieroglyphics carved into the tomb’s limestone walls. Then we moved to the pyramid…it is different than the Pyramids of Giza because it was a step pyramid (it wasn’t all smooth from the top to the bottom).



After Sakkara, we made a quick stop to the site of Memphis (no, not Tennessee) and viewed the largest remaining alabaster statue along with a sphinx (not the popular one!) and other statues of pharoses…not too impressive.

Next up…the best part of the day…what we all had taken this tour for…the Pyramids of Giza and the Sphinx! We arrived at the Pyramids and immediately went over to the nearly starving peddlers to score a ride on a camel. Our tour guide had already negotiated enough camels for all of us to ride…and we all went for an excursion through the desert sands among the pyramids. It was so exciting to ride a camel! You don’t realize how high up they are, but they’re almost double the height of a horse. There were flies all over our camel…in fact, one flew right into my mouth (and I freaked out)…supposedly this is good luck just like birds pooping on you! Our guide was handicapped and had a limp…so we were the last of the camels in the trail…I guess we got a longer ride than everyone else!

We rode up on our camels right to the base of the second pyramid, got off and started exploring by foot. We entered one of the pyramids and climbed down a steep ladder into where the tombs were held. You would think it would be cool down deep in the desert sand, but it was quite the contrary…it was like a sauna inside the tomb…and if you’re closterphobic…think again! The tomb was very confining and small…you could only pack about five people inside the middle room.

After going inside the pyramid, we went down to the Sphinx. We took several pictures…and not to forget, got hassled by beggars and peddlers. I was going to by an Arabian headdress and I wanted to purchase it for $1…the guy at first agree and then when I picked out my color and took out my money…he wanted more money. I started walking away and he grabbed me…I started yelling at him…and the tourist police came over and saved me from this guy. Yes, that’s right, Egypt has tourist police to protect tourists…mainly from terrorists, but in this instance it was nice to have someone to help out. Immediately after the brawl, another peddler came up and sold me the headdress for $1…so it worked out nicely in the end…and I got my Arabian cloth headdress.

After the Sphinx, we were bused to the ritzy Meridian Hotel across from the pyramids for lunch and then were driven to a papyrus institute (where they demonstrate how to make the papyrus…and of course sell it too!). Conveniently situated next door to the papyrus institute was a jewelry shop where they were selling cartouches (jewelry with hieroglyphics) and souvenirs. I went to watch the papyrus demonstration and walked through the jewelry shop…and made it back to the bus without one purchase. I figure I have enough souvenirs from these last months to last me for years to come!

My trip to Egypt was a great one…within the two days I was able to visit and see everything I wanted to…and it was nice to have one-and-a-half days off of work!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home